- Lead the underwriting function in the Malta office
- International exposure
- Recognising & rewarding excellent performance and achievements
The Head Of Underwriting will take over and develop a European book of business. He/she will review and underwrite submissions from all classes of business for which the Group is licensed, determining and evaluating the nature and extent of the risk involved, through technical and through analysis to ensure maximised profitability and minimising risk exposure as necessary.The Role:
- Underwriting new and renewal business diligently, reviewing and analysing (re)insurance proposals received in order to determine what degree of risk, if any, to accept on the business’s behalf;
- Negotiating the most favourable terms with brokers and clients;
- Ensuring that all decisions regarding the insurance terms to be offered to clients are made in accordance with the Group's documented underwriting procedure;
- Liaising regularly with the Group underwriting team based across the Groups network;
- Undertaking regular peer reviews in accordance with internal standards and requirements;
- Reviewing underwriting decisions made in the Group's other offices, providing supporting recommendations as appropriate;
- Liaising with the Claims department with regard to any large losses;
- Ensuring that individual responsibilities and accountabilities are carried out in line with regulatory and statutory requirements, particularly those relating to the MFSA.
- Responsible for balancing growth in volume without losing profitability across the line of business;
- Responsible for control of aged debt;
- Produce reports on current account and forecast performance of account for the forthcoming three years;
- Ensure any audit requirements and recommendations are promptly implemented and maintained;
- Ensure implementation of risk appetite and tolerance for each of the key risk areas.
Client Relationship Management:
What do you have to offer?
- Maintain and develop where required all aspects of client relationship management and third-party service providers;
- Actively manage and grow broker relationships in Europe;
- Product Development;
- Recommend and review appropriate new business products;
- Ensure all KPI’s are upheld for new business generation.
- A bachelor degree is preferred;
- Fluent in English;
- A business development approach and commercial mind-set with a track record of building businesses or capabilities for an organisation;
- Team leadership, demonstrating an understanding of all components of the business and can complement the underwriting capabilities based in various markets;
- Able to contribute to and implement a successful differentiated strategy;
- An understanding of the regulatory environment and familiarity with good corporate governance practices within an international and diversified insurance environment;
- An effective communicator and builder of relationships; a proactive team leader;
- An individual with strong insurance technical competence and execution focus;
- An ability to work in a matrixed environment, collegial, open and aligned to a single hub model.