- Permanent position
- Flexible hours
- Salary dependant on experience
Our client is a growing boutique Private Equity investment business that takes active positions in listed companies. They are looking for a part-time Risk Officer for their Maltese AIFM who will report to the Non-Executive Director responsible for Risk. Working closely with the Malta based CFO and the investment adviser’s UK based COO, the ideal candidate will be a capable self-starter who communicates well and is naturally highly organised.
The Risk Officer will be responsible for managing all aspects of risk for the AIFM and the AIF’s that it manages. The AIFs under management will hold a concentrated portfolio (approx. 5/6 positions) of predominantly equity (listed and unlisted) investments.
Whilst the scope of the business is sizeable, the immediate office environment is small. The successful candidate will possess the flexibility and positive approach that working in a small team requires.
- Develop a risk management framework for the AIFM and the AIFs under management to ensure regulatory risk management requirements of the MFSA and AIFMD are met;
- Ensure compliance with the risk limits outlined in the relevant investment policy and develop internal risk parameters suitable for monitoring the portfolio;
- Attend investment committee meetings and provide risk information about proposed investment activity and perform all relevant pre and post trade checks;
- Liaise with the investment adviser’s portfolio analysis team regarding information being collected from underlying portfolio companies to develop/implement portfolio risk monitoring procedures and monitor/enhance risk data quality;
- Monitor and analyse portfolio risks (including scenario analysis, counterparty credit, FX etc) and ensure they are consistent with fund objectives and risk parameters;
- Prepare enterprise wide risk assessment and maintain risk register
- Produce regular risk management reporting for internal and external audiences from a regulatory, enterprise and AIF risk framework perspective
- Document and maintain the disaster recovery plan
- Undertake an annual review of the risk management policy in preparation for Board sign off and communicating amendments to business areas as required
- Design and implement the policy compliance process applicable for all business policies
The portfolio is subject to incredibly low turnover and does not employ leverage. Risk considerations will therefore not be complex. Where there is little portfolio activity the risk officer may be asked to pick up other duties that are suited to their skills. Candidate Requirements:
- Positive, pro-active and self-driven
- Organised and professional individual with strong record keeping and report writing skills
- High level of numeracy and attention to detail combined with strong written and verbal communication skills. Able to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders of all levels
- Knowledge/experience includes market risk, equity risk and FX risk factors, ideally coupled with an understanding of the risk management requirements of AIFMD
- At least 2 years’ experience of working with an investment business in a risk management role is essential, preferably in a private equity environment.
- Strong record of achievement, coupled with strong technical skills
- Degree or professional qualification relevant to the role
- Ideally previously approved by the MFSA for a risk management role
- Proficient in MS Excel
- Fluent English language skills - oral and written